Overview of the organisation
Syria Relief (SR)’s Head office is based in Denton, M34 UK, with additional offices in London, Turkey, Iraq, and Jordan. Focusing mainly on operations in Syria, SR runs programmes including: healthcare, education, food distribution and food security, water and sanitation, livelihood, sustainability and protection. SR is the largest UK-based Syria-focused charity.
A future where the people of Syria live in dignity and security, with the means and opportunities to fulfil their potential and achieve their aspirations, wherever they may be in the world.
|HOURS||Full time (40 hours per week less 30 minutes lunch break 37.5hrs)|
|REPORTING||Head of Programmes & Development|
|Subject to six month probation period, satisfactory employment and ongoing security checks.|
Overview of the Role
The Head of Programmes (HoP) will belong to SR’s senior management team and is responsible for the strategic and programmatic support and guidance of all SR operations. S/he will be responsible for leading all SR’s programme development: design, monitoring, evaluation and learning, across Syria, Turkey, Iraq, and Jordan.S/he will Lead programme development, inspiring the teams and ensure SR are operating a portfolio of high-quality programmes. In addition, s/he will take a leading role in developing SR’s programme strategy and work with the Programme Partnership Manager to maximisefunding from international donors, strategic partners and UN agencies. S/he will be responsible to drive technical expertise and excellence throughout the organisation.
The HoP has operational responsibility for all the Country Offices in the region and will lead SR strategic development in line with key organisational objectives and direction. The post holder will line manage Country Directors, ProgrammeManagers and Regional Co-ordinators.
- Providing broad leadership across the organisation, contributing to the strategic planning and development of SR’s programme portfolio and ensuring we adapt to a dynamic operating environment
- Is responsible for the overall strategy of our humanitarian work, and for ensuring that each programme, thematic area and country has a strategy which reflects SR’s overall vision, strategy and business model and is underpinned by effective fundraising.
Programming: Implementation & Capacity building
- Has overall responsibility for ensuring high-quality project design and delivery of our work, through effective support of Programme staff.
- Provides technical advice on the design and delivery of high quality programmes.
- Ensures that proposals are developed to a high standard including undertaking hands on support for proposal development where necessary.
- Holds Programme Managers to account for proficient full-cycle management of projects through the relevant in country line management structures.
Fundraising & financial management
- Works with the Programme staff to develop and implement our fundraising strategy and growth with quality targets. The focus of this role will be institutional donors, UN and key strategic partners in the countries of operation. S/he will also ensure the programme portfolio supports the requirements of other kinds of donors in collaboration with country and UK staff. (E.g. high net worth individuals, trusts, foundations etc.)
- Build effective working relationships with key external stakeholders including donors, bi-lateral aid agencies, implementing partners, etc.
- Works collaboratively with managers and teams across Syria Relief to ensure effective relationship management with donors.
- Holds Programme Managers to account for ensuring that all of Syria Relief’s programming is fully resourced, that budget and overhead recovery targets are met and that country offices are run sustainably, in accordance with Syria Relief’s procedures and systems and ethics
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Oversees a high-quality, organisation-wide monitoring and evaluation function that enables a culture of learning and growth and ensures key project level lessons inform our technical approach and project design.
- Drives technical expertise and excellence throughout the organisation and supports a culture of learning and growth.
- Ensures quality, regular impact reporting and champions a results culture.
- Ensures that future programming and research is informed by lessons and innovations from our projects and programmes, encouraging continuous improvement.
Communications and Advocacy
- Supports the Communications and Advocacy staff, subject experts, and wider team members as required.
- Supports Syria Relief’s aim to retain valuable skills and expertise and ensures that staff have adequate opportunities to understand the methodologies used in different activities, both to deepen their knowledge and to strengthen the methodologies.
- Builds a culture of impact and innovation that celebrates of successes and learns from challenges so staff are have pride in Syria Relief’s work and their own role within it.
- Contributes to Syria Relief’s overall development, standing and reputation and ensures that the best interests of SR, its mission and work are given priority in all professional matters.
- Capitalises on opportunities to deepen the technical understanding of SR’s work with all staff and our partner organisations, through the effective and appropriate communication of impact, innovation and approach.
- To promote SR’s vision and mission and to uphold the Charity’s values in all day to day activities and delivery of services.
- To ensure that SR develops a culture that promotes equality and values diversity and that the service you provide meets the needs of all stakeholders. This may involve the development and monitoring of policies and procedures to ensure the services you provide are inclusive to all.
- To participate in SR related events as and when required.
- In accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and subsequent legislation, the post holder is required to undertake a proactive role in the management of risks in all their actions. This includes
- Undertaking risk assessments in line with the SR risk assessment process;
- Reporting all incidents, near misses and hazards in line with the SR’s reporting arrangements/system
- Undertaking a statutory duty of care for your own personal safety and that of others
- Attending all statutory and mandatory health and safety training, appropriate to the role.
|Degree /HND in relevant field i.e.international development, or related field||X|
|English Level 4 minimum||X|
|Managing a team or having direct reports with experience in developing and conducting Personal Development Reviews||X|
|Project management frameworks and governance approaches||X|
|Organisational skills, able to delegate effectively and proactively identify obstacles||X|
|Delivering success through effective teamwork||X|
|Strong financial/cost management capability, including managing budgets, challenging costs & interpreting data.||X|
|Knowledge of donor regulations, policies and procedures,||X|
|Working in an overseas location (preferably a developing country)||X|
|Knowledge and Skills|
|Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to organise and present information in a compelling way||X|
|Excellent analytical and interpretive ability||X|
|Team player with a positive, can-do attitude; comfortable with continuously changing priorities in a fast paced environment||X|
|Communicate complex projects within demanding deadlines||X|
|Communicate complex projects within demanding deadlines||X|
|Able to think strategically and communicate to project teams/sponsors effectively||X|
|Strong IT skills including: Excel, Outlook||X|
|Additional languages, Arabic, French||X|
|A willingness to work variable hours, with occasional weekend and evening work and to travel, both national and international||X|
with the Job Title in the subject line.
We reserve the right to close this post early, where we receive a high number of applications and you are advised to submit your completed application form as early as possible, to avoid disappointment. Applicants are encouraged to visit our website, read the job description carefully and person specification to assist you in completing your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If any of the three requirements are missing in your application, your application will not be considered.
Please mention where you heard of this vacancy when you apply for this position.SR believes in treating everyone with dignity and respect and encourages applications from all sectors of the community.
Please note, the position you are applying for has been identified as requiring an Accuity Check