Terms of Employment
Permanent post, six month probationary period and subject to ongoing: advanced security checks, namely Accuity and appropriate criminal record checks. Employment references, ongoing right to work in UK and qualification verification, will be required prior to any offer of employment.
|JOB TITLE||International Finance Manager (IFM)|
|HOURS||Full time Equivalent (37.5 hours)|
|REPORTS TO||Head of Finance/Chief OperationsOfficer /Chief Executive Officer|
Overview of the Role
IFM will lead a crucial role as the pivotal point in country operations financial management to new and existing branches, country programmes and implementing partners and responding to challenges in country operations. S/he must be capable of assuming senior management positions in a new country or in any country offices; will lead on the assurance and oversight of the charity’s financial processing and reporting. This includes capacity building and ensuring all processes are working as desired.
IFM’s role is to ensure all associated internal controls, policies and procedures operate effectively and adhering to Accounting Regulations / Charity SORP and associated legislation via utilisation of in-house Accounts and Management systems in order to safeguard the charity, deliver value for money, save costs, mitigate risk and prevent misappropriation of income and expenditure.
Key Result IndicatorSupport Strategic direction and business development:
- Successfully trains, develops and capacity builds local teams.
- Successfully ensures local teams are delivering on month-end accounting and reporting is delivered on a timely manner monthly.
- Successfully ensures local teams are delivering on statutory accounting and year end audits and other audits.
- Successfully safeguard the charity from risk and in accordance with internal policies & procedures and external accounting regulations / fundraising regulator / grant recognition / Charity SORP / VAT etc.
- Deliver value for money by ensuring due diligence checks are applied to all financial matters
- Manage and develop a high performing capable Finance teams to deliver a high class service to Syria Relief.
Includes but not limited to;
- Oversee the effective financial management of field offices in Turkey and Iraq.
- Ensure to provide support as an International Finance Manager in a start-up country and manage Finance managers in Turkey and Iraq.
- Ensure efficient support to the local Finance Manager or the Country Director when a country requires additional external support to manage any particular situation.
- Ensure effective development of local finance teams.
- To ensure appropriate support for internal audits or reviews of country programmes.
- Ensure the effective implementation of accounting, reconciliations and analysis of trial balances; including timely month-end closing of financials each month.
- Ensure effective and efficient support for the local finance teams for compliance and adherence to Syria Relief policies, procedures and protocols.
- Ensure the effective development of local finance teams to deliver monthly budget versus actual review meetings with each budget holder and supporting budget holders in the preparation and monitoring of their budgets and income projections; with the understanding of institutional donor requirements.
- Ensure the assurance, oversight and management of the financial systems are in place, and that the procedures and deadlines are followed meticulously throughout Syria Relief.
- Ensure the effective development of local finance teams for them to deliver monthly reconciliations of income and expenditure, balance sheet accounts are regularly reviewed and assessed.
- Ensure the effective development of local finance teams for them to deliver the statutory accounts are prepared in accordance with SORP and to best practice and audit files are maintained to the highest standards.
- Ensure the effective development of local finance teams for them to deliver financial reports on events, expenditure analysis and analysis of management accounts are prepared for all stakeholders.
- Ensure the local finance teams have oversight and management of local Tax and government regulatory compliance.
- Ensures local finance teams meet the Charity Commission requirements met for programme delivery, finance and fundraising activities.
- Develop the local finance team to ensure the effectively running of the team in providing its organizational support function.
- Ensure the local finance manager and country director has oversight, assurance of the quality, accuracy of the data and financial records in all forms electronic and hardcopy records.
- Ensure the local finance manager and country director has oversight and assurance over the accuracy of suppliers and payments, meeting value for money and regulatory compliance.
- Ensure the local finance manager and country director has oversight and assurance over the accuracy processing through the organizational systems,
- Ensure the local finance manager has the accuracy of fixed assets, accruals, repayments, debtors and creditors. Review AMS to prepare reports identifying which volunteers, staff and suppliers require payments.
- Ensure the local finance manager and country director has oversight and assurance ensuring payments are being made appropriately in line with payment terms via upload to BACS online banking system, prior to passing to bank authorisers.
- Ensure the local finance manager has oversight and assurance of the reconciliation of Supplier Accounts.
- Ensure the local finance manager and country director has oversight and assurance of income from Donors are matched on CRM & posted to Accounts System.
- Ensure the local finance manager and country director has oversight and assurance on the reconciliation of income; post to the CRM system & the Accounts system
- Ensure the local finance manager and country director has oversight and assurance regular Donations received via Direct Debits; Standing Orders and ad-hoc cash & cheques are processed and entered onto the CRM and posted to the Accounts System.
- Ensure the local finance manager and country director has oversight and assurance reconciliation of various Bank Accounts as assigned
- Contribute to system & process improvements
- Ensure knowledge is maintained on the changes in financial regulations and legislations and advise respective stakeholders on the financial matters as they arise.
- Ensure periodic monitoring, review and amendment of the financial policy framework, standard operating procedures, workflows, SLAs and accountabilities.
- Act as first point of contact (via phone, email, post or in person) for all Finance related enquiries, including disputed issues.
- Be flexible in the provision of support and cover for team members as required
- All activities to be performed in a timely and efficient manner
- Ensure enquiries from all stakeholders are addressed in an appropriate & timely manner
- Abide by the organizational policies and procedures
- To travel nationally and internationally to support Syria Relief Offices and partners, as required
To undertake duties as reasonably may be required of a finance professional. Employee duties are not limited to the above-mentioned Accountabilities and may include other duties as assigned.
- To promote SR’s vision and mission and to uphold the Charity’s values in all day to day activities and delivery of services.
- Take business accountability for the delivery of shared business responsibilities e.g. relevant contribution to the Charity’s Objectives, Risk Register and Assurance Framework.
- To ensure that SR develops a culture that promotes equality and values diversity and that the service you provide meets the needs of all stakeholders. This may involve the development and monitoring of policies and procedures to ensure the services you provide are inclusive to all.
- To participate in SR related events as and when required.
- • In accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsequent legislation, the post holder is required to undertake a proactive role in the management of risks in all their actions. This includes:
- Undertaking risk assessments in line with the SR risk assessment process;
- Reporting all incidents, near misses and hazards in line with the SR’s reporting arrangements/system
- Undertaking a statutory duty of care for your own personal safety and that of others
- Attending all statutory and mandatory health and safety training, appropriate to the role.
|Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA or CIMA)||X|
|Degree in relevant genre||X|
|Strong working knowledge and experience of financial reporting and preparation of statutory accounts, using Sage.||X|
|Internal financial controls for charities (CC8)SORP, FRS 102||X|
|Knowledge and Skills|
|Ability to critically appraise the financial systems, processes and controls, to identify and implement improvements to strengthen the system.||X|
|Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, inter-cultural sensitivity and confidence in dealing with a wide range of partners;||X|
|Working in an international environment across multi geographical locations||X|
|Maintain a good understanding of the Humanitarian crisis affecting Syria and the region.||X|
|Time management, able to prioritise competing deadlines to meet commitments||X|
|Willingness to perform other duties as required||X|
|Self-motivated to learn new concepts and participate in new projects.||X|
|Strong IT skills including Microsoft Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint||X|
|Alacrity to travel national and international, frequently to our UK and Middle East offices and others as necessary.||X|
|Basic Arabic speaking skills||X|
with the Job Title in the subject line.
We reserve the right to close this post early, where we receive a high number of applications and you are advised to submit your completed application form as early as possible, to avoid disappointment. Applicants are encouraged to visit our website, read the job description carefully and person specification to assist you in completing your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If any of the three requirements are missing in your application, your application will not be considered.
Please mention where you heard of this vacancy when you apply for this position.SR believes in treating everyone with dignity and respect and encourages applications from all sectors of the community.
Please note, the position you are applying for has been identified as requiring an Accuity Check