Overview of Syria
Relief (SR) Programmes
SR is the largest UK-based Syria-focused charity. It runs a range of programmes across several thematic sectors including: healthcare, education, food distribution and food security, water and sanitation, livelihood, sustainability and orphan support, inside Syria and the Middle East.
|HOURS||Full time (40 hours per week less 30 minutes lunch break 37.5hrs)|
|REPORTING||Head of Programmes & Development|
|Subject to six month probation period, satisfactory employment and ongoing security checks.|
Overview of the role
The International Programme Manager (IPM)is responsible for building the UK Programmes Department,managing the departmental strategy and monitoring progress against KPIs. S/hewill have excellent relationship and change management skills, and familiar with managing multiple priorities and deadlines.
IPMrequires excellent written and spoken English. S/he is responsible for managing the programme officers, to manage donor reporting and proposal development. The IPMwill lead on development andor, revision of operational systems, procedures and guidelines ensuring these are fit-for-purpose. Lead, develop plan and monitor existing projects, maintain donor relations, expanding donor funding and facilitating communication between stakeholders.Collaborate with and support our Country Offices, ProgrammeManagers, MEAL Department and Field Offices; assist develop, monitor, programme mobilisation and strategy. To develop new strategies for project development, (appropriate to the needs and context of the Charity’s mission) and allow for a responsive approach to proposal development. Focus on and anticipate donor priorities,keeping up to date with current events as they unfold on the ground and update them in a timely manner. Maintain accurate records, writing and updating new proposals, liaising with relevant teams for implementation.
Staff management, training and coaching staff to:
- Ensures the implementation and monitoring of, organisational policies and standards, effective planning, evaluations, reporting systems and financial management.
- Manage Departmental progress against the Programme Strategy and revise as appropriate
- Please a key role in building the technical capacity of UK Programmes and establishing the Department as a core function of the organisation.
- Play a leading and positive role in Change Management across the organisation.
- To leadon securing additional funding through large institutional grants or through partnerships with INGOs
- Facilitate all aspects of project management for assigned proposal efforts, including initial research, review/analysis, template creation, task management, kick-off/status calls, scheduling, input review/consolidation and delivery;
- Monitoring of project progress through field trips, close communication with project staff, monitoring of expenditure, communication with donors and problem solving.
- Provide support to monitoring and evaluation teams, assisting in capacity building where appropriate.
- Supporting countries in developing submitting high quality reports (narrative and financial).
- Supporting Finance, in the processing of all grant claims and payments, ensuring reconciliation of budgets
- Maintaining electronic and hard-copy files for all grants, in line with established systems.
- Ensuring project financial reports are updated in information systems.
- Represent SR UK at humanitarian meetings as appropriate, including donor meetings.
- Ensuring that SR’s reputation is enhanced in all representation / liaison activities.
- Support other departments in development of appeals.
- To attend regular team meetings and contribute to the overall smooth operation of SR.
- To keep up to date with the major issues and solutions pertaining to SR.
- Collect information for other Departments on field trips, as requested.
- To undertake other tasks and projects as requested by senior managers.
To promote Syria Relief’s vision and mission and to uphold the Charity’s values in all day-to-day activities and delivery of services.
- To contribute to the Charity’s objectives, Risk Register and Assurance Framework.
- To ensure that Syria Relief develops a culture that promotes equality and diversity and that the service you provide meets the needs of all stakeholders. This may involve the development and monitoring of policies and procedures to ensure the services you provide are inclusive to all.
- To participate in Syria Relief related events as and when required.
- In accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and subsequent legislation, the post holder is required to undertake a proactive role in the management of risks in all their actions; this includes:-
- Undertaking risk assessments in line with the Syria Relief risk assessment process;
- Reporting all incidents, near-misses and hazards in line with the Syria Relief’s reportingsystems
- Undertaking a statutory duty of care for your own personal safety and that of others
- Attending all statutory and mandatory health and safety training, appropriate to the role.
|Bachelors or Diploma in International Development, Disaster Management or related Social Science or equivalent||X|
|Willingness to undertake training and actively seek out personal development opportunities||X|
|Programme development including: implementation, with either Education, Public Health/Nutrition, WASH, Protection and livelihood or similar||X|
|Several years’ experience of engaging with international Non-Governmental Organisations (NGO’s)||X|
|Managing donor relations||X|
|Writing fund winning proposals to INGOs and international donors such as USAID, DFID, and ECHO||X|
|Knowledge and Skills|
|Good understanding of the Humanitarian crisis affecting Syria and the region.||X|
|Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, inter-cultural sensitivity and confidence in dealing with and negotiating with a wide range of partners||X|
|Ability to provide regular written and verbal reports to a variety of audiences||X|
|Fluent in English with excellent spoken and written communication||X|
|Demonstrated experience and expertise, in interpreting and applying legislation in executing awards and contracts||X|
|Ability to manage and prioritise a varied workload and competing deadlines to meet commitments||X|
|Self-motivated to continuous improvement||X|
|Able to adapt to differing environments and cultures as required||X|
|Strong communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments||X|
|Willingness to perform other duties as required||X|
|Ability to work variable hours, with occasional weekend and evening work||X|
|Alacrity to travel national and international, to our Middle East offices and other locations as necessary.||X|
with the Job Title in the subject line.
We reserve the right to close this post early, where we receive a high number of applications and you are advised to submit your completed application form as early as possible, to avoid disappointment. Applicants are encouraged to visit our website, read the job description carefully and person specification to assist you in completing your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If any of the three requirements are missing in your application, your application will not be considered.
Please mention where you heard of this vacancy when you apply for this position.SR believes in treating everyone with dignity and respect and encourages applications from all sectors of the community.
Please note, the position you are applying for has been identified as requiring an Accuity Check