Terms of Employment
Permanent post, six month probationary period and subject to advanced security checks - namely Accuity check, clearance will be required prior to any offer of employment.
Overview of Syria Relief (SR)
SR is the largest UK-based Syria-focused charity. It runs a range of programmes across several thematic sectors including: healthcare, education, food distribution and food security, water and sanitation, livelihood, sustainability and orphan support, inside Syria and the Middle East.
|HOURS||Full time (40 hours per week less 30 minutes lunch break 37.5hrs)|
|REPORTING||Head of Programmes & Development|
|Subject to six month probation period, satisfactory employment and ongoing security checks.|
Overview of the Role
The Accountant is a key member of the financeteam, responsible for the day to day accounting and financial management of the charity and its subsidiaries. Responsibilities include budgeting, cash flow forecasting, reporting to management, auditpreparation and liaising with auditors and the Board of Trustees. Collaborating with global colleagues and stakeholders at all levels.
- Income, including Gift Aid, Credit control, Donors data base, reporting to donors
- Expenditure, e.g. expenses policy, purchase order system and credit card management.
- General ledger, balance sheets and profit/loss statements
- Support month-end and year-end close process
- Reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analysing
- Produce budgets and cash flow forecasts.
- Produce annual statutory accounts.
- Payroll associated reporting.
- Assist with year-end audits
- Improve systems and procedures.
- Adherence toInternal financial controls for charities (CC8)
- Provide technical support and advice to Finance Manager
- To promote SR’s vision and mission and to uphold the Charity’s values in all day to day activities and delivery of services.
- Take business accountability for the delivery of shared business responsibilities e.g. relevant contribution to the Charity’s Objectives, Risk Register and Assurance Framework.
- To ensure that SR develops a culture that promotes equality and values diversity and that the service you provide meets the needs of all stakeholders. This may involve the development and monitoring of policies and procedures to ensure the services you provide are inclusive to all.
- To participate in SR related events as and when required.
- In accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsequent legislation, the post holder is required to undertake a proactive role in the management of risks in all their actions. This includes:
- Undertaking risk assessments in line with the Syria Relief risk assessment process;
- Reporting all incidents, near-misses and hazards in line with the Syria Relief’s reporting, arrangements and systems
- Undertaking a statutory duty of care for your own personal safety and that of others
- Attending all statutory and mandatory health and safety training, appropriate to the role.
|Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA or CIMA)||X|
|GCSE English and Maths||X|
|Strong working knowledge and experience of financial reporting and preparation of statutory accounts, using Sage.||X|
|Internal financial controls for charities (CC8)SORP, FRS 102||X|
|Assisting with year end audits||X|
|Knowledge and Skills|
|Ability to critically appraise the financial systems, processes and controls, to identify and implement improvements to strengthen the system.||X|
|Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, inter-cultural sensitivity and confidence in dealing with a wide range of partners;||X|
|Working in an international environment across multi geographical locations.||X|
|Maintain a good understanding of the Humanitarian crisis affecting Syria and the region.||X|
|Meticulous attention to detail.||X|
|Time management, able to prioritise competing deadlines to meet commitments.||X|
|Willingness to perform other duties as required.||X|
|Self-motivated to learn new concepts and participate in new projects.||X|
|Strong IT skills including Microsoft Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.||X|
|Ability to work variable hours, with occasional weekend and evening work.||X|
|Alacrity to travel national and international, frequently to our UK London and Turkey office and other offices as necessary.||X|
|Basic Arabic speaking skills .||X|
with the Job Title in the subject line.
We reserve the right to close this post early, where we receive a high number of applications and you are advised to submit your completed application form as early as possible, to avoid disappointment. Applicants are encouraged to visit our website, read the job description carefully and person specification to assist you in completing your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If any of the three requirements are missing in your application, your application will not be considered.
Please mention where you heard of this vacancy when you apply for this position.SR believes in treating everyone with dignity and respect and encourages applications from all sectors of the community.
Please note, the position you are applying for has been identified as requiring an Accuity Check