Operations, HR, IT, income generation and governance
Please note, that this role will be subject to full pre-employment background checks which may include, but are not limited to, employment references, ongoing right to work verification, Accuity background checks and where appropriate criminal record checks.The HO must be committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all stakeholders.
|JOB TITLE||Chief Operating Officer|
|HOURS||Full time Equivalent (37.5 hours)|
|REPORTS TO||Chief Executive Officer|
Purpose of the Role
To work closely with the CEO. You will lead on our operations and oversee HR, IT, income generation and governance functions, and take responsibility for managing our small central office. You will be a strategic thinker and planner, with strong finance skills, an eye for detail, and the ability to understand what it takes to turn vision into action. You will be practical and focused, willing to do what it takes to get a job done. You will be passionate about the humanitarian sector. You will demonstrate a genuine commitment to the organisation’s growth and success
Key responsibilitiesSupport Strategic direction and business development:
- Input into the strategic development of the charity
- Working with the CEO, board and executive team to develop and implement the charity’s strategic plan
- Support the implementation of the annual plan providing support on resourcing issues, including operations, ICT, income generation, property management and HR
- Developing the team’s annual work plan and monitoring progress against targets throughout the year
- Ensure that the Board of Trustees is provided with all the necessary management information
- Ensure that charity complies with its legal obligations as a charity, including obligations relating to any regulatory frameworks
- With CEO manage risk
- Working closely with all functions:
- Ensure that our teams are supported in all aspects of local team operations including delivery
- Oversee data monitoring and management of key outputs
- Support the implementation and roll out of systems.
- Troubleshooting and supporting issues as they arise.
- Supply accurate and timely data for reports to funders and other stakeholders
- Responsible for all KPIs other financial information required by CEO, the board
- Direct line management of the HR, ICT and other functions
- Work closely with the CEO to maintain oversight on all income generation including supporting the submission of funding applications and reports
Office and Coordination
- Ensure a good working environment for staff
- Oversee and coordinate the smooth running of HQ
- Coordinate practical support of annual cycle of conferences, strategy days, and board meetings
- Oversee policies and compliance with HR, employment, health and safety, confidentiality and data protection regulations
- Oversee and ensure compliance with company secretarial, legal and insurance duties Responsibility, with CEO, for resolving any staff or volunteer grievances and disciplinary matters External Communications:
- Work with the CEO, Board and executive to jointly develop and implement communications strategy
- Oversight of the charity’s website and social media channels
- Coordinate regular quarterly newsletters to external stakeholders
Line Management Responsibilities
- Managing the operations, HR, Income generation and ICT teams
- Motivating and facilitating teamwork and good practice in order to achieve excellent standards of service delivery
- Managing your staff attendance and leave, to ensure a continuous service throughout the year
- Overseeing operation’s staff career development including the appraisal scheme and reviewing training requirements
- Monitoring the effectiveness of the operation staff to meet the needs of the charity
- To carry out other reasonable tasks from time to time as directed by the CEO
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Professional qualifications and a record of Continuing Professional Development activities
- Finance and human resource qualification or equivalent experience.
- Evidence of well-developed IT skills
- Experience as a member of a senior management team
- Experience and/or knowledge of Charities regulations and administration
- Experience of budget reporting processes in an organisation
- Experience of working with a range of internal and external partners including non-Operations personnel
- Knowledge and experience of managing procurement, contracts for services, health and safety
- Extensive experience of managing and motivating staff
- Working knowledge and experience of employment law and best practice
- Exceptional organisational and planning skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to prioritise and manage conflicting demands
- Ability to interpret complex legislation regulations etc.
- Ability to influence and participate in the charity management processes
- Proactive and innovative demonstrable approach to work
- Proven high level negotiation skills
- Able to act as an advocate and represent the organisation’s work and values
- Highly developed interpersonal and motivational skills
- Stamina and a sense of humour
- An ability to be ambitious and aspirational for self and others
with the Job Title in the subject line.
We reserve the right to close this post early, where we receive a high number of applications and you are advised to submit your completed application form as early as possible, to avoid disappointment. Applicants are encouraged to visit our website, read the job description carefully and person specification to assist you in completing your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If any of the three requirements are missing in your application, your application will not be considered.
Please mention where you heard of this vacancy when you apply for this position.SR believes in treating everyone with dignity and respect and encourages applications from all sectors of the community.
Please note, the position you are applying for has been identified as requiring an Accuity Check