Terms of Employment
Permanent post, six month probationary period and subject to ongoing: advanced security checks, namely Accuityand appropriate criminal record checks. Employment references, ongoing right to work in UK and qualification verification, will be required prior to any offer of employment.
|JOB TITLE||Finance Officer|
|HOURS||Full time (40 hours per week less 30 minute lunch break 37.5 hrs)|
|REPORTS TO||Head of Programmes/ Finance Manager|
Overview of the Role
The Programmes Finance Officerundertakes a pivotal and dynamic role co-ordinating and supporting international finance and programme functions, s/he has a regulatory role in ensuring partner due diligence, financial policies, procedures and reporting practices are adhered to and planning to reporting are completed to meet requirements on a timely basis.
Planning and reporting
- To support and develop clear project budgeting and reporting guidelines alongside the Programmes team, to give a clear framework for partners and field offices to operate.
- Provide support to programmes throughout due diligence and the planning process, including review and discussion of draft budgets, project proposals. Help to ensure budget deadlines are met and the budget approval process is completed on a timely basis.
- Provide support in developing and maintaining the Programmes departmental budget at HQ and streamline the operational budgets for the country offices.
- Maintain financial trackers for all funds coming in to provide accurate and timely fund availability to programmes.
Monitoring and reviewing
- Review, analyse and respond, in collaboration with the Programme to the reports received from partner and field offices.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of monthly transfer requests from field offices as per agreed procedures. Track Spending and produce financial reports for individual projects.
- Manage the review of the monthly financial reconciliations from partner and field offices and ensure that a risk-based approach to the level of reviews and checks is done and that feedback is given and followed up promptly.
Restricted funds and contract management
- Co-ordinate the restricted funding contracts in place for each of the programmes and update the funding schedules for all known contracts.
- Work with the programmes to keep funding schedules up to date. Provide an overview to the organization of contracts secured including in-kind contracts, matched funding needs and funding gaps to inform fundraising efforts.
- Work with partner and field offices to ensure that all contracts are monitored both in financial and non-financial terms on a regular basis and any implications arising are resolved.
- Support the preparation of financial budgets and reports for institutional donors.
- To travel internationally to support and develop the capacity of finance in partner and field offices. Complete 2 -3 trips a year concentrating on training needs and capacity building.
- To oversee the adherence of Syria Relief’s minimum financial standards including anti bribery, fraud and corruption policies.
- To undertake duties as reasonably maybe required of a finance professional.
- Contribute to a positive working environment, in which staff are empowered to do their best.
- To promote SR’s vision and mission and to uphold the Charity’s values in all day to day activities and delivery of services.
- Take business accountability for the delivery of shared business responsibilities e.g. relevant contribution to the Charity’s Objectives, Risk Register and Assurance Framework.
- To ensure that SR develops a culture that promotes equality and values diversity and that the service you provide meets the needs of all stakeholders. This may involve the development and monitoring of policies and procedures to ensure the services you provide are inclusive to all.
- To participate in SR related events as and when required.
- In accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsequent legislation, the post holder is required to undertake a proactive role in the management of risks in all their actions. This includes:
- Undertaking risk assessments in line with the SR risk assessment process;
- Reporting all incidents, near misses and hazards in line with the SR’s reporting arrangements/system
- Undertaking a statutory duty of care for your own personal safety and that of others
- Attending all statutory and mandatory health and safety training, appropriate to the role.
|Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA or CIMA)||X|
|GCSE English and Maths||X|
|Strong working knowledge and experience of financial reporting and preparation of statutory accounts, using Sage.||X|
|Internal financial controls for charities (CC8)SORP, FRS 102 X||X|
|Knowledge and Skills|
|Ability to critically appraise the financial systems, processes and controls, to identify and implement improvements to strengthen the system.||X|
|Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, inter-cultural sensitivity and confidence in dealing with a wide range of partners;||X|
|Working in an international environment across multi geographical locations||X|
|Maintain a good understanding of the Humanitarian crisis affecting Syria and the region.||X|
|Time management, able to prioritise competing deadlines to meet commitments||X|
|Willingness to perform other duties as required||X|
|Self-motivated to learn new concepts and participate in new projects.||X|
|Strong IT skills including Microsoft Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint||X|
|Ability to work variable hours, with occasional weekend and evening work||X|
|Alacrity to travel national and international, frequently to our UK and Middle East offices and others as necessary.||X|
|Basic Arabic speaking skills||X|
with the Job Title in the subject line.
We reserve the right to close this post early, where we receive a high number of applications and you are advised to submit your completed application form as early as possible, to avoid disappointment. Applicants are encouraged to visit our website, read the job description carefully and person specification to assist you in completing your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If any of the three requirements are missing in your application, your application will not be considered.
Please mention where you heard of this vacancy when you apply for this position.SR believes in treating everyone with dignity and respect and encourages applications from all sectors of the community.
Please note, the position you are applying for has been identified as requiring an Accuity Check.