Please note, that this role will be subject to full pre-employment background checks which may include, but are not limited to, employment references, right to work verification, Accuity background check and where appropriate a criminal record check.
Overview of Syria Relief (SR) Programmes
SR is the largest UK-based Syria-focused charity. It runs a range of programmes across several thematic sectors including: healthcare, education, food distribution and food security, water and sanitation, livelihood, sustainability and orphan support, inside Syria and the Middle East.
|JOB TITLE||Programme Officer (PO)|
|HOURS||Full time (40 hours per week less 30 minute lunch break 37.5 hrs)|
|LOCATION||Denton M34, Tameside or London|
|REPORTS TO||International Programme Manager|
|SALARY||£18,540 - 23,486 Band 4 (plus London Weighting £3,500)|
Overview of the role
Responsible for planning, monitoring existing projects, maintaining donor relations, expanding donor funding and facilitating communication between stakeholders. PO requires excellent written and spoken English.
Collaborate with and support our Country Offices, Programs managers, MEAL Department and Field Offices; assist develop, monitor, programme mobilisation and strategy. To develop new strategies for project development, (appropriate to the needs and context of the Charity’s mission) and allow for a responsive approach to proposal development. Focus on and anticipate donor priorities, keeping up to date with current events as they unfold on the ground and update them in a timely manner. Maintain accurate records, writing and updating new proposals, liaising with relevant teams for implementation.
- Co-ordinate between programmes and donors
- Manage donor relationships
- Facilitate all aspects of project management for assigned proposal efforts, including initial research, review/analysis, template creation, task management, kick-off/status calls, scheduling, input review/consolidation and delivery;
- Project Cycle management, including needs assessments, formulation of concept note, proposals and budget;
- Monitoring of project progress through field trips, close communication with project staff, monitoring of expenditure, communication with donors and problem solving.
- Monitoring compliance with procedures or policies and flagging breaches to the line manager.
- Provide support to monitoring and evaluation teams, assisting in capacity building where appropriate.
- Supporting countries in developing submitting high quality reports (narrative and financial).
- Supporting Finance Manager, in the processing of all grant claims and payments, ensuring reconciliation with SR systems.
- Maintaining electronic and hard-copy files for all grants, in line with established systems.
- Ensuring project financial reports are updated in information systems.
- Represent SR UK at humanitarian meetings as appropriate, including donor meetings.
- Ensuring that SR’s reputation is enhanced in all representation / liaison activities.
- Support other departments in development of appeals.
- To attend regular team meetings and contribute to the overall smooth operation of SR.
- To keep up to date with the major issues and solutions pertaining to SR.
- Collect information for other Departments on field trips, as requested.
- To undertake other tasks and projects as requested by senior managers.
- To promote Syria Relief’s vision and mission and to uphold the Charity’s values in all day-to-day activities and delivery of services.
- To contribute to the Charity’s objectives, Risk Register and Assurance Framework.
- To ensure that Syria Relief develops a culture that promotes equality and diversity and that the service you provide meets the needs of all stakeholders. This may involve the development and monitoring of policies and procedures to ensure the services you provide are inclusive to all.
- To participate in Syria Relief related events as and when required.
- In accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and subsequent legislation, the post holder is required to undertake a proactive role in the management of risks in all their actions; this includes:-
- Undertaking risk assessments in line with the Syria Relief risk assessment process
- Reporting all incidents, near-misses and hazards in line with the Syria Relief’s reporting arrangements and systems
- Undertaking a statutory duty of care for your own personal safety and that of others
- Attending all statutory and mandatory health and safety training, appropriate to the role.
|Degree / HND in relevant field i.e. international development, or related field||X|
|English Level 4 minimum||X|
|Project management frameworks and governance approaches||X|
|Third-party management in relation to key suppliers, sub-contractors & stakeholders.||X|
|Advanced planning and organisational skills, able to delegate effectively and proactively identify obstacles||X|
|Delivering success through effective teamwork||X|
|Strong financial/cost management capability, including managing budgets, challenging costs & interpreting data.||X|
|Knowledge of donor regulations, policies and procedures,||X|
|Working in an overseas location (preferably a developing country)||X|
|Knowledge and Skills|
|Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to organise and present information in a compelling way||X|
|Excellent analytical and interpretive ability||X|
|Team player with a positive, can-do attitude; comfortable with continuously changing priorities in a fast paced environment||X|
|Communicate complex projects within demanding deadlines||X|
|Strong commercial intelligence and a results driven mind-set||X|
|Able to think strategically and communicate to project teams/sponsors effectively||X|
|Strong IT skills including: Excel, Outlook||X|
|Additional language skills Arabic||X|
|A willingness to work variable hours, with occasional weekend and evening work and to travel, both national and international||X|
with the Job Title in the subject line.
We reserve the right to close this post early, where we receive a high number of applications and you are advised to submit your completed application form as early as possible, to avoid disappointment. Applicants are encouraged to visit our website, read the job description carefully and person specification to assist you in completing your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If any of the three requirements are missing in your application, your application will not be considered.
Please mention where you heard of this vacancy when you apply for this position.SR believes in treating everyone with dignity and respect and encourages applications from all sectors of the community.
Please note, the position you are applying for has been identified as requiring an Accuity Check.